The Seychelles National Museums
The Seychelles National Museum started as an outgrowth of the National Archives in 1965. Its aims are too; acquire, conserve, research. Communicate and exhibits material of significance on the historical, cultural and natural heritage of Seychelles. The last 55 years have witnessed a dramatic transformation of the Seychelles National Museum into an active Museum in 1998. The new museum were given new mission in order to provide interactive displays and to reach out to the community.
The Seychelles National History Museums Division currently falls under the aegis of the Culture Department within the Ministry of youth , Sport and Culture and is primary responsible for the continuous preservation, promotion and development and is assisted by two Director General for Culture and the other for the Human Resource and Finance.
The national Museum Director reports directly to the Director General for culture and employs a total of 17 staff members
As a public body the National Museums adheres to the Constitution of Seychelles Cultural policy. The National Museum is currently drafting its Museum Policy which will aim to:
- Have a comprehensive document defining the general guidelines for the operations of museums in Seychelles
- Establish standard, strategies, and an operational framework within which the museum of Seychelles can function and develop.
- Ensure that Museums in Seychelles develop and maintain high standard as well as professionalism
The National Museum is responsible for the effective management and development four sections, namely;
- The National Museum of History.
- The Natural History Museum
- The National Herbarium
- National Museum Conservation Unit